BY Advocate.com Editors
September 29 2009 11:00 PM ET
First, the depressing (literally) news: 42% of adult HIVers suffer from clinical depression, and the condition hampers HIV treatment by making it difficult to properly adhere to medication regimens as well as through an effect unrelated to adherence that is not yet understood, according to a report in the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes.
But there is a bright spot in this study of more than 3,300 HIVers: Treating depression with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors not only helps curb depression but also restores the effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM