BY Benjamin Ryan
December 16 2009 11:00 AM ET
Kymisha Dupree had been pleading with her husband, Michael Euring, for a new baby. She already had two wonderful boys from before the two of them were married, but she had her heart set on a little girl. HIV be damned!
Dupree, who lives in West Hollywood, Calif., and makes a living from speaking engagements about HIV, has never known life without the virus. Born prematurely in 1982, she was infected through a blood transfusion. After successfully giving birth to two of her own babies -- who at 3 and 9 years old are both HIV-negative -- she was an old hand at the medical protocol to prevent transmission to her unborn child by the time she started talking about parenthood with her new husband.
But Euring resisted. At 38, he also already had children, two sons, both born when he was in his late teens, and he wasn't so sure about starting the process over again. Plus, this would be his first child since he’d tested HIV-positive a few years before.
“When you think about the future of the child, I was a little apprehensive,” Euring says, recalling his anxiety about both the risk of passing along the virus to the new baby and his own prospects for keeping healthy throughout the child’s upbringing. “But my wife wanted a little girl,” he says of his decision to agree to her wishes. “I wanted the things that were going to make her happy.”
Dupree got her wish in August. And when Euring got to hold their daughter, Naysa Symone Dupree-Euring, he says he was overwhelmed: “You don't recognize the potential of a child until you actually hold her in your hands.”
Now he says he wants another son, and it’s his wife this time who isn’t so sure.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1 hour 37 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 2 hours 6 min ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM