Study: Most HIV patients use alternative therapies
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
A study presented last week at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association in Chicago shows that two thirds of HIV-positive Americans are using alternative therapies such as vitamins, herbs, botanical products, and other supplements, causing concern among caregivers over possible interactions between the products and anti-HIV medications, Reuters Health reports. Little research has been done on interactions between alternative therapies and standard HIV antiretrovirals, leaving patients at risk of inadvertently boosting or dramatically lowering the blood-based levels of the medications in their bodies, which can hamper HIV disease management, said San Francisco researcher Mark Vosnick.
Vosnick's team surveyed about 160 HIV-positive adults in San Francisco on their use of alternative medications. A total of 67% reported taking at least one compound outside the traditional anti-HIV drug cocktail. More than half said they regularly took multivitamins, 17% used mineral supplements, 12% used Chinese herbs, 12% took other herbal products, and 7% took garlic supplements.
Vosnick said the numbers are worrisome because doctors may not know that their HIV-positive patients are taking the supplements, which are not subject to Food and Drug Administration scrutiny of safety or effectiveness. "Talk to your physician about any supplements that you're taking, any type of alternative meds," Vosnick advised.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 26 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 2 hours 56 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM