S.D. college student’s probation in HIV case may be revoked
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 05 2002 11:00 PM ET
Nikki Briteramos, the 19-year-old HIV-positive South Dakota college student jailed last week for 120 days and given a five-year suspended sentence for knowingly exposing a sex partner to HIV, may have his sentence revoked for violating the conditions of the sentencing agreement. Briteramos was briefly released from jail on August 29 so that he could register for college classes at Si Tanka-Huron University, but he disappeared for more than five hours, said Beadle County state's attorney Mike Moore. The sentencing agreement permitted Briteramos to leave jail to attend classes at the university. Briteramos registered for one class on August 29 but did not immediately return to jail as instructed. A urine test given to Briteramos when he finally did return tested positive for marijuana.
Briteramos, appearing in court on Tuesday, denied Moore's allegations. A September 17 hearing on Briteramos's alleged sentence violations has been scheduled. Moore said he also may charge Briteramos with escape from jail due to his delayed return to the facility and marijuana possession or use. If Briteramos's sentence in the HIV case is revoked, he could face a new sentence of up to 15 years in state prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 4 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 10 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 16 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 17 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 1 hour 21 min ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 2 hours 5 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM