S.D. college student’s probation in HIV case may be revoked
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 06 2002 12:00 AM ET
Nikki Briteramos, the 19-year-old HIV-positive South Dakota college student jailed last week for 120 days and given a five-year suspended sentence for knowingly exposing a sex partner to HIV, may have his sentence revoked for violating the conditions of the sentencing agreement. Briteramos was briefly released from jail on August 29 so that he could register for college classes at Si Tanka-Huron University, but he disappeared for more than five hours, said Beadle County state's attorney Mike Moore. The sentencing agreement permitted Briteramos to leave jail to attend classes at the university. Briteramos registered for one class on August 29 but did not immediately return to jail as instructed. A urine test given to Briteramos when he finally did return tested positive for marijuana.
Briteramos, appearing in court on Tuesday, denied Moore's allegations. A September 17 hearing on Briteramos's alleged sentence violations has been scheduled. Moore said he also may charge Briteramos with escape from jail due to his delayed return to the facility and marijuana possession or use. If Briteramos's sentence in the HIV case is revoked, he could face a new sentence of up to 15 years in state prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 4 min 57 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 1 hour 41 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 54 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM