Federal prosecutor sends letter to Washington medical marijuana growers
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
A federal prosecutor in Washington State has apparently altered his stance on a policy of tolerance regarding medical marijuana use in the state to a more rigid position after four Bremerton, Wash., medical marijuana growers received a terse letter from him last month, The Seattle Times reports. The letter from U.S. attorney John McKay says he will begin prosecuting marijuana growers no matter how much of the drug they grow. Washington voters in 1998 approved a ballot initiative allowing for the use of medicinal marijuana by people with cancer, AIDS, glaucoma, and other chronic illnesses.
Medical marijuana advocates in the state believe that McKay's letter will set the stage for federal raids on marijuana growers, distributors, and users, similar to the raids that have happened over the past two years in California. "I'm afraid [federal agents] will do anything they can to interrupt this movement," said Rob Killian, a Seattle family practitioner and medical marijuana advocate. "That would mean even going after physicians who have the temerity to discuss this with patients and people who assist patients finding this drug."
Monte Levine, one of the men who received the letter from McKay, uses marijuana to treat symptoms of end-stage liver disease. He plans to continue to grow and use the drug despite McKay's threats. "We're Americans standing up for our rights, and if they want to imprison sick people, so be it," he said.
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 14 min 30 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 18 min 17 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 20 min 11 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 6 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 21 min ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 1 hour 23 min ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 30 min ago