New York City’s syphilis rate increases 90%
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
Figures released last week by the New York City mayor's office show that for the 12-month period ending July 1, there were 357 new cases of syphilis recorded in the city, up 90% from the previous one-year period. The increase is due to jumps in unprotected sex, particularly among gay and bisexual men, according to the report, titled "Mayor's Management Report." Syphilis infection makes it easier to be infected with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases because of the open sores associated with the condition.
"The concern here really is primarily for what this heralds and what it symbolizes in terms of the risk of increased spread of HIV," said Thomas Frieden, commissioner of the New York City health department. "Not only do HIV and syphilis spread in the same way through unsafe sex, but you're more likely to spread HIV if you have syphilis. We need to be more effective with our prevention messages about avoiding sex with anonymous partners, always using a condom, and we have to emphasize that despite the fact that there are good treatments for HIV these days, it remains a fatal disease."
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM