Study: Early start of anti-HIV drugs does not result in better immune recovery
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 15 2003 1:00 AM ET
Starting anti-HIV drugs when T-cell counts are above 350 does not result in better immune system recovery as measured through increases in T cells, unless the treatment is begun within one year of infection, according to a study in the March edition of the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. An analysis of 20 HIV studies showed that patients who started antiretroviral drugs when their T-cell counts were above 350 posted no better gains in immune cell restoration than patients who started the drugs with T-cell counts between 201 and 350. The average T-cell rebound in both groups was 119 cells. The best results were seen in patients who began the anti-HIV drugs less than one year after infection. The worst rebounds were observed in patients who had fewer than 200 T cells at the time of treatment initiation.
The study authors conclude that there is no advantage to starting antiretroviral treatment when patients have 350 or more T cells. Current U.S. treatment guidelines call for anti-HIV drugs to begin when T-cell counts fall below 350, but European guidelines are more conservative and say that most patients can wait until their T-cell levels fall to between 200 and 350.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 33 min 12 sec ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 34 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM