Mandela to discuss AIDS in MTV documentary
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 10 2003 12:00 AM ET
Former South African president Nelson Mandela is set to appear in an open forum with young people to discuss HIV/AIDS as part of an upcoming MTV documentary focusing on his life and his work on HIV/AIDS issues. The hour-long program, set to air in July, will launch the cable TV network's 2003-2004 "Staying Alive" HIV/AIDS awareness campaign. For the film, Mandela has invited young people from all over the world to visit his Johannesburg home to discuss issues of concern to them, including AIDS.
"With rising HIV infection rates around the world and the issues of war, terrorism, and discrimination, young people now have so many important decisions to make in their lives," Mandela said. Mandela is the founder of the Nelson Mandela Foundation, which has played a major role in forming youth HIV/AIDS education programs in South Africa and other developing nations in Africa.
The documentary is being produced by MTV's parent company, Viacom, in association with the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, the World Bank, the Kaiser Family Foundation, and Family Health International's YouthNet.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 3 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 8 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 23 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM