Study: Unprotected sex common among San Francisco's HIV-positive gay men
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 30 2003 11:00 PM ET
A study in the June issue of the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes shows that unprotected anal sex with a partner of unknown HIV status is relatively common among gay and bisexual men in San Francisco, particularly among the city's HIV-positive men. Interviews with more than 10,500 gay and bisexual men in the city from 1999 through 2001 showed that more than 20% of the men who were HIV-positive reported having unprotected sex with a partner of unknown HIV serostatus. The study also showed that 12.1% of HIV-negative men reported having engaged in unprotected anal sex with a partner of unknown status, and 13.4% of men who had not been tested for HIV reported unprotected sex.
Older white HIV-positive men were the most likely to have engaged in unprotected anal sex, according to the study. Overall, about 12.7% of the respondents reported two or more incidents of unprotected sex with partners of unknown serostatus.
The study authors say that because HIV-positive gay men are not always practicing safer sex, particularly with partners who may not be infected with HIV, stronger prevention messages and programs are needed to encourage those who are infected to use condoms and to disclose their serostatus to their sex partners.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM