Toronto officials report rise in syphilis cases among gay men
February 24 2005 1:00 AM ET
Health officials in Toronto, alarmed at the rising number of syphilis cases being reported among the city's gay and bisexual men, are stepping up their efforts to encourage safer sex and screenings for the sexually transmitted disease, The Globe and Mail reports. Many of the new infections are being reported among middle-aged gay men, health officials say. New syphilis cases in the city were fewer than 20 in 1998, but the number has risen 20-fold since then to 353 new cases in 2004. Health officials are visiting gay bathhouses and launching syphilis awareness outreach programs to help lower the number of infections. They also are devising outreach efforts to reach at-risk gay men ages 35-50, who may be exposing themselves to the STD through oral sex.
"We are trying our best to get the message out about testing and treatment and safer sex, but it is hard to change people's behavior," Rita Shahin, Toronto's assistant medical officer, told The Globe and Mail. "We are working closely with community partners in terms of outreach, including educating physicians who may not have seen syphilis in years."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM