Surgeon Urges Others to Learn FTM Procedure
BY Matthew Van Atta
December 13 2007 1:00 AM ET
gynecologic cancer surgeon is urging fellow physicians to
reconsider offering a medical procedure for transgender
patients to aid in the transition from female to
male. Kate O’Hanlan, MD, a surgeon in private
practice in Portola Valley, Calif., provided evidence that
total laparoscopic hysterectomy can be the best approach for
many of these patients, the Rockway Institute
announced in a press release.
“Transsexual patients face enormous barriers in life,
and those continue into their medical
treatment,” O’Hanlan said in the statement.
"They endure stigma and misunderstanding even when
they go to their physicians for medical care."
that most hysterectomies are performed through large
abdominal incisions or through the vagina, though the organ
may not be strong enough to withstand the procedure.
However in a laparoscopic hysterectomy, the uterus is
removed through several small incisions in the
abdomen. She said that total laparoscopic surgery is
underutilized; 15% of hysterectomies are performed
laparoscopically, and 5% are total laparoscopies.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM