Drug Combo Helps Women With Advanced Breast Cancer
May 16 2008 11:00 PM ET
A combination of two new-generation cancer drugs modestly delayed the time it took for cancer to worsen in a study of 300 women with very advanced disease who had stopped responding to other treatments.
It was the first test of these two highly targeted drugs, Herceptin and Tykerb. Both aim at a protein called HER-2/neu that is made in abnormally large quantities in about one fourth of all breast cancers. Herceptin blocks the protein on the cell's surface; Tykerb does it inside the cell.
In the study, women getting the combo survived 12 weeks without their cancer worsening compared to eight weeks for those receiving Tykerb alone.
''Really blocking that pathway is an effective strategy. This gives us a new treatment option for patients,'' said Dr. Joyce O'Shaughnessy of Baylor-Sammons Cancer Center in Dallas.
She led the study and has consulted in the past for its sponsor, British-based GlaxoSmithKline PLC, which makes Tykerb. California-based Genentech and Swiss-based Roche Holding AG market Herceptin.
Side effects were more common with the combo -- 5% had a modest decrease in pumping power of the main chamber of the heart compared to 2% of those taking only Tykerb. That side effect also has been seen with Herceptin.
Liver problems also have been tied to Tykerb, which is currently approved to be used in combination with the chemo drug Xeloda for breast cancer patients who have failed treatment with Herceptin and other drugs.
Results of the study were released Thursday by the American Society of Clinical Oncology and will be presented at the group's annual meeting later this month. (AP)
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 12 min 51 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 31 min 34 sec ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 1 hour 7 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 1 hour 18 min ago
- World News Russia's High Court: 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Is Constitutional 1 hour 27 min ago
- Entertainment News GBF's Michael J Willett Stripped Down to Cover of Natasha Bedingfield 1 hour 30 min ago