Be Bold, Be Bald!
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 5:00 AM ET
Most people don't order special products to make them go bald, but for one day of the year, many make an exception for the "Be Bold, Be Bald!" campaign. Thousands of people don special bald caps in honor of those who have cancer or have dealt with the harsh effects of chemotherapy, which typically results in the loss of hair. Proceeds from the campaign go to actual organizations and projects that are trying to fight cancer, like LiveSTRONG, The Prostate Cancer Foundation, and the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. So far, the organization has raised $250,000.
"Be Bold, Be Bald!" is a positive way to get involved in increasing awareness and raising funds for cancers that can be prevalent among LGBT people, Love says. Love, a breast cancer expert and member of the National Cancer Advisory Board, is encouraging everyone, including her followers, dubbed the Army of Women, to participate in "Be Bold, Be Bald!" day on Friday.
"Breast cancer doesn't discriminate," Love told The Advocate on Tuesday."It may be slightly more common in the lesbian community because some lesbians do not have children."
Here's some photos from the last couple of "Be Bold, Be Bald!" days, celebrated by thousands across the country.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM