Be Bold, Be Bald!
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 4:00 AM ET
Most people don't order special products to make them go bald, but for one day of the year, many make an exception for the "Be Bold, Be Bald!" campaign. Thousands of people don special bald caps in honor of those who have cancer or have dealt with the harsh effects of chemotherapy, which typically results in the loss of hair. Proceeds from the campaign go to actual organizations and projects that are trying to fight cancer, like LiveSTRONG, The Prostate Cancer Foundation, and the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. So far, the organization has raised $250,000.
"Be Bold, Be Bald!" is a positive way to get involved in increasing awareness and raising funds for cancers that can be prevalent among LGBT people, Love says. Love, a breast cancer expert and member of the National Cancer Advisory Board, is encouraging everyone, including her followers, dubbed the Army of Women, to participate in "Be Bold, Be Bald!" day on Friday.
"Breast cancer doesn't discriminate," Love told The Advocate on Tuesday."It may be slightly more common in the lesbian community because some lesbians do not have children."
Here's some photos from the last couple of "Be Bold, Be Bald!" days, celebrated by thousands across the country.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM