Be Bold, Be Bald!
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 4:00 AM ET
Most people don't order special products to make them go bald, but for one day of the year, many make an exception for the "Be Bold, Be Bald!" campaign. Thousands of people don special bald caps in honor of those who have cancer or have dealt with the harsh effects of chemotherapy, which typically results in the loss of hair. Proceeds from the campaign go to actual organizations and projects that are trying to fight cancer, like LiveSTRONG, The Prostate Cancer Foundation, and the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. So far, the organization has raised $250,000.
"Be Bold, Be Bald!" is a positive way to get involved in increasing awareness and raising funds for cancers that can be prevalent among LGBT people, Love says. Love, a breast cancer expert and member of the National Cancer Advisory Board, is encouraging everyone, including her followers, dubbed the Army of Women, to participate in "Be Bold, Be Bald!" day on Friday.
"Breast cancer doesn't discriminate," Love told The Advocate on Tuesday."It may be slightly more common in the lesbian community because some lesbians do not have children."
Here's some photos from the last couple of "Be Bold, Be Bald!" days, celebrated by thousands across the country.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 34 min 30 sec ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 34 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 34 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM