Be Bold, Be Bald!
BY Michelle Garcia
October 20 2011 5:00 AM ET
Most people don't order special products to make them go bald, but for one day of the year, many make an exception for the "Be Bold, Be Bald!" campaign. Thousands of people don special bald caps in honor of those who have cancer or have dealt with the harsh effects of chemotherapy, which typically results in the loss of hair. Proceeds from the campaign go to actual organizations and projects that are trying to fight cancer, like LiveSTRONG, The Prostate Cancer Foundation, and the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. So far, the organization has raised $250,000.
"Be Bold, Be Bald!" is a positive way to get involved in increasing awareness and raising funds for cancers that can be prevalent among LGBT people, Love says. Love, a breast cancer expert and member of the National Cancer Advisory Board, is encouraging everyone, including her followers, dubbed the Army of Women, to participate in "Be Bold, Be Bald!" day on Friday.
"Breast cancer doesn't discriminate," Love told The Advocate on Tuesday."It may be slightly more common in the lesbian community because some lesbians do not have children."
Here's some photos from the last couple of "Be Bold, Be Bald!" days, celebrated by thousands across the country.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 32 min 13 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 26 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 32 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM