Anti-LGBT Discrimination Drives Substance Abuse, Report Says
BY Trudy Ring
March 11 2012 5:00 PM ET
LGBT people may have a higher rate of substance abuse because they use drugs and alcohol to cope with discrimination, according to a new issue brief from the Center for American Progress, a Washington, D.C., think tank.
Noting that definitive figures are hard to come by, the center estimates that 20% to 30% of LGBT people are substance abusers, as opposed to 9% of the general population. A major contributor to the problem, it says, is “the stress that comes from daily battles with discrimination and stigma.”
“In order to lower these rates, our health care system needs to better meet the needs of gay and transgender people, and our government needs to advance public policies that promote equality for this population,” the brief continues. It recommends legislative steps such as passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and the Respect for Marriage Act, and urges the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to make moves to assure culturally appropriate treatment and prevention measures for LGBT people.
Read the full report here.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 24 min 19 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 59 min 55 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 1 hour 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 2 hours 10 sec ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM