Hallmark Removes 'Gay' Lyric From Holiday Ornament
BY Jase Peeples
November 01 2013 12:55 PM ET
Greeting card company Hallmark drew criticism earlier this week when they released a holiday ornament with changed lyrics to the song “Deck the Halls,” reports the Associated Press.
The ornament, a tacky red, green, and gold sweater, featured the line “Don we now our FUN apparel,” with “fun” replacing the word “gay.”
However, Hallmark’s attempt to be politically correct caused an immediate backlash.
"To me ... 'gay' still means happy — joyful — I refuse to let the word [be] hijacked by the same-sex relationship community," one Facebook commenter wrote on the company's wall Thursday. "I will also avoid Hallmark from this point on."
Initially, the company defended its decision to update the lyrics of the classic carol, claiming the word “gay” would leave the lyrics on the ornament “open to misinterpretation.”
"The trend of wearing festively decorated Christmas sweaters to parties is all about fun, and this ornament is intended to play into that, so the planning team decided to say what we meant: 'fun.' That's the spirit we intended and the spirit in which we hope ornament buyers will take it," the company said in a statement.
However, Hallmark updated the company’s response to the PR nightmare induced by the sweater ornament to include an apology on Thursday. “We’ve been surprised at the wide range of reactions expressed about the change of lyrics on this ornament, and we’re sorry to have caused so much concern,” Hallmark said. “We never intend to offend or make political statements with our products, and in hindsight, we realize we shouldn’t have changed the lyrics on the ornament.”
Watch KMBC News 9’s coverage of the ornament debacle in the below video.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM