Fired California teacher reaches million-dollar settlement
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2002 12:00 AM ET
A San Leandro, Calif., teacher who was reprimanded after he discussed minority and gay issues with his San Leandro High School honors English students during the 1997-1998 school year has reached a $1,155,000 settlement with the school district, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The deal Karl Debro reached Tuesday follows a jury's ruling on August 8 that the district's actions violated his right to free speech and association. Debro sued in 1999 after the school board, in response to complaints about his classroom discussions, adopted a "controversial issues" policy that requires campus principals to approve the discussion of controversial topics before they are discussed with students.
Debro, who is married and has two children, said the policy was unconstitutional. An Alameda County superior court judge agreed, and on August 8 Debro was awarded $500,000 in emotional damages. The settlement came as the case was about to enter the punitive damages phase. "I hope people realize that teachers are responsible for discussing, and required to discuss, issues of racism and sexism with their students," said Debro, who remains a teacher at San Leandro High and is adviser to the school's Gay-Straight Alliance.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 1 hour 51 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 2 hours 51 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM