The New York Times runs first lesbian civil union announcement
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 10 2002 12:00 AM ET
Two weeks after changing its Wedding announcements policy to include notices of same-sex unions, The New York Times on Sunday printed its first announcement of a lesbian union.
Leslie Jennifer Miller and Alicia Jana Salzer were joined in a commitment ceremony on Fire Island Saturday.
Salzer, 36, is an attending psychiatrist in the emergency department at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in Manhattan. Miller, who is a staff forensic examiner at the Crime Victims Treatment Center at St. Luke's-Roosevelt, met Salzer in the hospital's emergency room in October 1999.
Also included on Sunday's Weddings page was an announcement of a commitment ceremony between Thomas William Leonard and Ralph Christopher Lione. Leonard is the fund-raising director for Cispes, which is based in Manhattan. Lione is a senior art director at Newsweek magazine in Manhattan. He also designs costumes for the theater.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM