Iowa college group to debut gay conference
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
A University of Iowa gay student alliance plans to host the first Queer Iowa Student Conference next month in Iowa City, according to The Daily Iowan.
UI senior Cianan Russell, the cochairman of the conference, said many gay, lesbian, and bisexual groups across the state are unaware there are other such organizations. One goal for the October 19 event is to let those groups know they are not alone. "One of the greatest difficulties for a group or for someone when they first come out is the fear that they're alone," he said. "This will give us opportunity to give advice and share ideas."
Russell and conference organizer Jessica Brackett said they hope the conference will become an annual event. Both say the current Midwest conference, which this year is scheduled for Ohio, is held too far away and Iowa groups are not able to attend. If this conference is held yearly, it will give Iowa groups a way to connect and develop a community, Brackett said. This week the local organization will send 500 letters to high schools and colleges in all parts of the state to inform them about the conference. Brackett said she does not know how many people to expect, but she said the group will be satisfied to organize the convention.
"I'm really looking for an outstanding turnout," said conference organizer Liz Van Deusen. "I'll be happy whether we get 50 or 500."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM