Gay newspaper sues Georgia library system
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2002 11:00 PM ET
The editor of a gay newspaper in southeast Georgia has accused the Ohoopee regional library system in Vidalia of censorship after the library banned the publication from its lobby area. The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit Wednesday in U.S. district court in Statesboro against the library on behalf of The Gay Guardian newspaper and its editor, Ron Marcus. "I don't think a librarian should be able to impose censorship or restrict information based on her own Christian views," Marcus said.
According to the lawsuit, the library initially allowed The Gay Guardian to be displayed in the lobby but later banned the publication after receiving complaints about it. The library has since removed all publications from the lobby and is reviewing its display policy, said Dusty Gres, director of the library system. The only materials available to the public now are government forms, such as tax returns, she said.
Gres said the library is not censoring The Gay Guardian, a five-year-old publication with an estimated readership of 200,000 in southeast and central Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. She said the publisher failed to follow library policies in placing the newspaper in the lobby.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 25 min 30 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 27 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM