Araujo slaying suspect granted bail
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 10 2003 1:00 AM ET
New details on the murder of transgendered 17-year-old Gwen Araujo emerged Tuesday during a bail motion for defendant Michael Magidson, one of four young men charged with killing Araujo, reports The [Fremont, Calif.] Argus.
Deputy district attorney Connie Campbell said Magidson, 22, was the first to punch Araujo during an October 3 party at a home in Newark, Calif. Magidson also has admitted to detectives that he tied a rope around Araujo's neck, she said.
Superior court judge Dennis McLaughlin agreed to set bail, the amount of which he said he would set after the net worth of Magidson's parents is determined.
Magidson, of Fremont--along with Jose Merel, 23, of Newark; Jason Cazares, 22, of Fremont; and Jaron Nabors, 19, of Newark--is charged with murder in the slaying of Araujo. All four have pleaded innocent.
Araujo's body--still bound with ropes--was found October 16 in a shallow grave east of Placerville in the El Dorado County wilderness. Though the four defendants could face 25 years to life in prison if convicted of first-degree murder, the killing does not meet the "special circumstances" required to make it a capital case. Judges are required to
consider bail motions in non-capital cases.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Media Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 8 min 27 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 11 min 48 sec ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 38 min 31 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who Wants to See More of The Fosters' Teri Polo in Her Cop Uniform? 40 min 52 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 8, 'Merchandise' 52 min 23 sec ago
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 58 min 10 sec ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 1 hour 7 min ago