Suspects in murder of Salinas gay man remain in jail
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 14 2003 11:00 PM ET
Three people arrested on suspicion of murdering a missing Salinas, Calif., man, in part because he was gay, remained jailed Sunday with bail set at $1 million each.
Police have not formally identified the victim, but the mother of a Salinas resident who has been missing since mid December told reporters she thinks it's her son, 30-year-old Robert Alan Maricle.
Authorities said a witness in a missing persons investigation led them last week to a makeshift grave in northern Monterey County where they uncovered a man's body.
The witness also told investigators that one motive for the murder had been the man's sexual orientation.
Police believe the two men and the woman who were arrested killed the man at a home in south Salinas before burying him in the rural location.
Detectives are working to identify a cause of death as well as to determine the link between the victim and those arrested. They were identified as Dominique Daniel England, 19, of Salinas; Daymon Douglas Schrock, 20, of Seaside; and Jeanne Soja, 29, of Angels Camp.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 46 min 25 sec ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 1 hour 19 min ago
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 2 hours 20 min ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 2 hours 52 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 2 hours 56 min ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 6:18 PM
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 6:13 PM