Conservative Supreme Court justice ridicules sodomy ruling
October 24 2003 11:00 PM ET
Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia ridiculed the high court's recent ruling legalizing gay sex, telling an audience of conservative activists that the ruling by the highest U.S. judicial body ignores the Constitution in favor of a modern, liberal sensibility. The ruling, Scalia said Thursday, "held to be a constitutional right what had been a criminal offense at the time of the founding and for nearly 200 years thereafter." Scalia adopted a mocking tone to read from the court's June ruling that struck down state sodomy laws in Texas and elsewhere. Scalia had written a bitter dissent in the case, known as Lawrence v. Texas, that was longer than the ruling itself.
In his address Thursday, Scalia said that judges, including his colleagues on the Supreme Court, throw over the original meaning of the Constitution when it suits them. "Most of today's experts on the Constitution think the document, written in Philadelphia in 1787, was simply an early attempt at the construction of what is called a liberal political order," Scalia told a gathering of the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. "All that the person interpreting or applying that document has to do is to read up on the latest academic understanding of liberal political theory and interpolate these constitutional understandings into the constitutional text."
Scalia is a hero to conservatives who favor a strict adherence to the actual text of the Constitution. The 50-year-old Intercollegiate Studies Institute is a private conservative education organization that sponsors lectures, conferences, and scholarships. The group says its mission is to "enhance the rising generation's knowledge of our nation's founding principles--limited government, individual liberty, personal responsibility, free enterprise, and Judeo-Christian moral standards."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 34 min 37 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 28 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 45 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 53 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 19 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 22 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 55 min ago