Pentagon recommends repeal of consensual sodomy ban
April 22 2005 12:00 AM ET
The Pentagon on
Thursday recommended repeal of the military's ban on
consensual sodomy. It has now been referred to the House
Armed Services Committee's personnel subcommittee, where it
is being reviewed.
"Service members should not be expected to
automatically check their constitutional rights at the
barracks door," said Sharra E. Greer of the Servicemembers
Legal Defense Network, an advocacy group for gay and lesbian
service personnel. "Every service member deserves laws that
are neither arbitrary nor vindictive. Congress should
approve the committee's recommendation. Consensual sodomy
prosecutions are both unwarranted and unconstitutional."
Under military law, consensual sodomy by
heterosexuals as well as same-sex couples can be punished by
up to a five-year prison sentence.
The constitutionality of the statute was called
into question after the U.S. Supreme Court's historic
Lawrence v. Texas decision, abolishing similar
state sodomy laws. In 2001 a panel called for repeal of the
statute. The Cox Commission called military sodomy
prosecutions "arbitrary, even vindictive." That commission
also recommended replacing the existing statute with one
more closely resembling civilian law.
SLDN cautioned service members, however, that the
recommendations are not yet law and must be approved by Congress.
"It remains to be seen if the recommendation by the
Pentagon will be implemented and, if so, whether or not
same-sex consensual sodomy prosecutions will cease," Greer
said. "Pentagon leaders must not suggest repeal of the
consensual sodomy prohibition in Article 125 only to
continue violating Lawrence under a different
statute. To do so would be a clear violation of service
members' constitutional guarantee of privacy."
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 3 min 41 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 5 min 51 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 25 min 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 47 min 45 sec ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 3 min ago
- Television PHOTOS: Behind The Scenes With a New Gay Sitcom 1 hour 30 min ago
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 2 hours 22 min ago