BY Julie Bolcer
August 26 2009 2:20 PM ET
The Florida state court of appeals is hearing arguments in Miami on Wednesday about last year's ruling that struck down the law barring gay couples from adopting, reports the Associated Press.
Last November, Miami-Dade County judge Cindy S. Lederman ruled that the sweeping ban, often called the strictest is the nation, is unconstitutional. The decision concerned the case of Frank Martin Gill, who along with his partner sought to adopt two boys for whom they had served as foster parents for four years.
Florida law allows gays and lesbians to serve as foster parents, but it prohibits them from adopting.
Judge Lederman ruled that the ban violated the equal protection requirement of the Florida constitution and contradicted the state policy of finding permanent homes for children. The judge said there was “no rational basis” for preventing gays and lesbians from adopting.
Some legal observers say the case is likely to arrive before the Florida supreme court. That court upheld the ban in 1995.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM