BY Julie Bolcer
August 27 2009 10:05 PM ET
A Lansing, Mich., gay man says a brutal attack on him Saturday night was motivated by his sexual orientation, reports WLNS TV.
Shawn Bennett walked to Clifford Park in the state capital and sat at a picnic table, where shortly afterward suspects approached from behind and launched a vicious assault.
"They stuck gravel in my face, putting rocks in my ears; the hospital actually had to take them out,” he told the TV station.
Bennett, who is recuperating at home, said the attackers also pulled him to the ground and burned him at least a dozen times with a cigar or cigarette.
Bennett said the suspects live in his neighborhood and began threatening him in June because is gay. Police have identified the suspects but have not made any arrests.
Currently, the Michigan hate-crimes law does not cover attacks motivated by sexual orientation. The house of representatives passed a series of measures to protect LGBT people in May, but the measures remain stalled in the state senate.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 50 min 48 sec ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 4 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 1 hour 23 min ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 1 hour 39 min ago