BY Matthew Breen
September 09 2009 6:00 PM ET
Ellen DeGeneres has been announced as the newest guest judge tapped to
fill the still-warm seat of departing America Idol judge Paula Abdul. DeGeneres will sit alongside Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, and Kara DioGuardi to offer her inimitable perspective -- and possibly some dance moves -- throughout the competition.
The show’s ninth season will premiere in January 2010, with DeGeneres scheduled to join the judges table after the audition period, during which other guest judges will include Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry, and Shania Twain, according to Fox.
“I’m thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol,” said DeGeneres. ”I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”
Creator and executive producer Simon Fuller says, “Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can’t wait for this next season to begin."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 9 min 6 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 21 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 33 min 33 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 49 min 3 sec ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 53 min 4 sec ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 57 min 48 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 48 min ago