BY Julie Bolcer
November 04 2009 11:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles Police Department on Tuesday severed its ties to an organization linked to the Boy Scouts of America, which discriminates against gays.
The police commission voted to end the LAPD’s association with Learning for Life, a Boy Scouts spin-off that runs a department program for teens interested in law enforcement careers, according to the Associated Press.
“Officials said the Boy Scouts policy is ‘inconsistent’ with the city's policy of non-discrimination,” the AP reported.
Learning for Life denied that it discriminates, and said it does not receive money from the Boy Scouts.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- 6 Last-Minute Exercises for the Perfect Gay Beach Bod