No Expulsion for Antigay Graffiti
BY Marchae Grair
June 17 2010 7:10 PM ET
Two students who vandalized a Southern Oregon University dorm with antigay slurs will not face expulsion, according to Fox 12 Oregon.
Blake Adkins and Kevin Novotny must do community service and live off campus as punishment for defacing a gender-neutral dorm building's hallway with antigay phrases. Although the gender-neutral floor is not specifically for gay students, many gay students live on the floor that was vandalized.
The pair will do volunteer service at the Queer Resource Center, Women's Resource Center, and Multicultural Center at SOU. They will also have to attend a gay rights meeting.
When Adkins and Novotny were arrested in April, the students claimed the antigay graffiti was not intended to harass gay students because they did not know gay students lived on the dorm floor they vandalized. They later apologized for defacing the hallways.
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Greg Louganis on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We All Have Our Own Journeys'
- WATCH: Ben Carson Gets the Constitution Wrong Again