Will Phillips Named Gay Pride Grand Marshal
BY Julie Bolcer
June 22 2010 10:30 AM ET
Will Phillips, the 10-year-old boy who last year refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school until LGBT people have full equality, will serve as grand marshal of the Northwest Arkansas Gay Pride Parade on Saturday. The youngster, who has addressed thousands of people since he took a stand, said he has a special strategy for dealing with protesters.
According to KFSM, Phillips will be the youngest grand marshal ever in the Fayetteville parade, and he is prepared to silence any potential protests with kindness.
"Pretty much all you need to do is smile wider and wave at them," he said.
Watch the report from KFSM.
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- BREAKING: Wyo. Won't Appeal Marriage Equality
- WATCH: As Marriage Equality Spreads, Judge Rules NOM Can't Recoup $700K in Legal Fees
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'