Will Phillips Named Gay Pride Grand Marshal
BY Julie Bolcer
June 22 2010 9:30 AM ET
Will Phillips, the 10-year-old boy who last year refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school until LGBT people have full equality, will serve as grand marshal of the Northwest Arkansas Gay Pride Parade on Saturday. The youngster, who has addressed thousands of people since he took a stand, said he has a special strategy for dealing with protesters.
According to KFSM, Phillips will be the youngest grand marshal ever in the Fayetteville parade, and he is prepared to silence any potential protests with kindness.
"Pretty much all you need to do is smile wider and wave at them," he said.
Watch the report from KFSM.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out