Will Phillips Named Gay Pride Grand Marshal
BY Julie Bolcer
June 22 2010 10:30 AM ET
Will Phillips, the 10-year-old boy who last year refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school until LGBT people have full equality, will serve as grand marshal of the Northwest Arkansas Gay Pride Parade on Saturday. The youngster, who has addressed thousands of people since he took a stand, said he has a special strategy for dealing with protesters.
According to KFSM, Phillips will be the youngest grand marshal ever in the Fayetteville parade, and he is prepared to silence any potential protests with kindness.
"Pretty much all you need to do is smile wider and wave at them," he said.
Watch the report from KFSM.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- Members of Congress to Antigay Nations' Diplomats: Leave Your Spouse Home
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing