Dr. Laura Drops Word in Radio Rant
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 11:50 AM ET
Conservative talk radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger found herself forced to apologize this week after saying the n word multiple times during an exchange Tuesday with a caller in an interracial marriage.
Media Matters offers a complete transcript and audio of the conversation. On Tuesday an African-American woman who identified herself as Jade called into the syndicated program to talk about her white husband’s friends who use the n word in her presence.
“Black guys use it all the time,” said Schlessinger. “Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n*****, n*****, n*****.”
Following that introduction, Schlessinger used the n word again and again throughout their conversation, apparently trying to raise the point that if African-Americans can use it, why not people with other racial backgrounds?
Schlessinger later issued an apology on her blog.
”I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the ‘n’ word all the way out - more than one time,” she said. “And that was wrong. I’ll say it again — that was wrong. I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word.”
Listen to the interview, provided in two parts by Media Matters.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 2 hours 35 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM