Dr. Laura Drops Word in Radio Rant
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 12:50 PM ET
Conservative talk radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger found herself forced to apologize this week after saying the n word multiple times during an exchange Tuesday with a caller in an interracial marriage.
Media Matters offers a complete transcript and audio of the conversation. On Tuesday an African-American woman who identified herself as Jade called into the syndicated program to talk about her white husband’s friends who use the n word in her presence.
“Black guys use it all the time,” said Schlessinger. “Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n*****, n*****, n*****.”
Following that introduction, Schlessinger used the n word again and again throughout their conversation, apparently trying to raise the point that if African-Americans can use it, why not people with other racial backgrounds?
Schlessinger later issued an apology on her blog.
”I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the ‘n’ word all the way out - more than one time,” she said. “And that was wrong. I’ll say it again — that was wrong. I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word.”
Listen to the interview, provided in two parts by Media Matters.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win