Dr. Laura Drops Word in Radio Rant
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 12:50 PM ET
Conservative talk radio host Dr. Laura Schlessinger found herself forced to apologize this week after saying the n word multiple times during an exchange Tuesday with a caller in an interracial marriage.
Media Matters offers a complete transcript and audio of the conversation. On Tuesday an African-American woman who identified herself as Jade called into the syndicated program to talk about her white husband’s friends who use the n word in her presence.
“Black guys use it all the time,” said Schlessinger. “Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n*****, n*****, n*****.”
Following that introduction, Schlessinger used the n word again and again throughout their conversation, apparently trying to raise the point that if African-Americans can use it, why not people with other racial backgrounds?
Schlessinger later issued an apology on her blog.
”I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the ‘n’ word all the way out - more than one time,” she said. “And that was wrong. I’ll say it again — that was wrong. I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word.”
Listen to the interview, provided in two parts by Media Matters.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: Human Sexuality Is More Than Gay And Straight
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 min 45 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 30 min 35 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 2 hours 59 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM