Emmer Ducks on Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 17 2010 12:50 PM ET
Antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer refused to say whether he thought voters should be presented with a constitutional amendment against marriage equality, although as a state house member, he has authored a bill to do exactly that.
According the Minnesota Independent, Emmer dodged a question about the amendment from a Minnesota public television host Friday evening. He insisted that the issue is not for a governor to decide.
“As a citizen I have a view that is well known,” said Emmer, according to the Minnesota Independent. “As a governor, it’s not going to be up to the governor. Whether it’s somebody that says they have to oppose it, it’s not up to the governor. It’s up to the legislature. And you know what, this election is not about those issues, this election is about the economy, and it’s about jobs.”
Pressed about the prospect of a constitutional amendment, the Republican nominee insisted that it was up to the legislature.
Emmer was the beneficiary of a $150,000 contribution from Target that has resulted in boycotts of the Minnesota-based retailer.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM