Parton, Latifah Pair for
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 22 2010 1:55 PM ET
Dolly Parton is heading to the big screen for the first time in nearly 20 years, teaming up with Queen Latifah for the gospel choir feature Joyful Noise.
Parton will play the widow of a choir director who recruits Latifah’s no-nonsense mother to take over the reins. Camp writer and director Todd Graff will direct from his own script.
Parton was last seen in theaters in 1992’s Straight Talk. She’s starred in a few made-for-TV movies since then, and she costarred in 2002’s straight-to-DVD Frank McKlusky, C.I.
Production is expected to start in January.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM