Maddow, McCain Talk DADT Repeal
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 09 2010 10:05 AM ET
Rachel Maddow hosted Meghan McCain, who discussed her new book, Dirty Sexy Politics, and her differences of opinion with her father, U.S. Senator John McCain, on the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.
Maddow asked McCain, a moderate Republican and gay rights advocate who has posed for the No H8 campaign, whether she discussed the military ban with her father. Maddow called Sen. McCain the “most vociferous proponent of keeping 'don’t ask, don’t tell' in place.”
“We do, to a degree,” said the younger McCain. “We’ve really had to sort of come to a come to a Jesus moment where we agree to disagree.”
She suggested that the differences on military service and marriage equality could be a question of age, and questioned the reluctance of President Barack Obama in that regard.
“I really think it’s generational,” said McCain. “I’ve been very disappointed with President Obama. He is 49, which is significantly younger than my father. I don’t understand why the media doesn’t put more pressure on him to do something as well.”
Watch the interview.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 1 hour 9 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 23 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM