Meek on Crist: No Friend to Gays
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2010 6:55 PM ET
Amid reports that Florida governor and U.S. Senate candidate Charlie
Crist is about to come out in support of gay rights legislation, his
Democratic opponent, Kendrick Meek, has said Crist is no friend to gays and
Crist, running as an independent for the Senate seat, intends to announce his support for a repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, according to an article on the website Raw Story. Kendrick responded to that report and said Crist is flip-flopping on gay issues and will say anything to get elected.
The Meek campaign is circulating a flier from 2006 in which Crist, running for reelection as governor, blasts his Democratic opponent for supporting gay rights, all while asserting Crist does not support them.
Meek supports civil unions, cosponsored the House's repeal of DADT, and was against Amendment 2, which constitutionally banned same-sex marriage in Florida.
Read the full story here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 36 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 20 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 38 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 51 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM