Meek on Crist: No Friend to Gays
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2010 6:55 PM ET
Amid reports that Florida governor and U.S. Senate candidate Charlie
Crist is about to come out in support of gay rights legislation, his
Democratic opponent, Kendrick Meek, has said Crist is no friend to gays and
Crist, running as an independent for the Senate seat, intends to announce his support for a repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, according to an article on the website Raw Story. Kendrick responded to that report and said Crist is flip-flopping on gay issues and will say anything to get elected.
The Meek campaign is circulating a flier from 2006 in which Crist, running for reelection as governor, blasts his Democratic opponent for supporting gay rights, all while asserting Crist does not support them.
Meek supports civil unions, cosponsored the House's repeal of DADT, and was against Amendment 2, which constitutionally banned same-sex marriage in Florida.
Read the full story here.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Florida Man Fired for Saying He'll Wed His Dog Because of Same-Sex Marriage
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Where Are 1.5 Million Missing Black Men?