Meek on Crist: No Friend to Gays
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2010 6:55 PM ET
Amid reports that Florida governor and U.S. Senate candidate Charlie
Crist is about to come out in support of gay rights legislation, his
Democratic opponent, Kendrick Meek, has said Crist is no friend to gays and
Crist, running as an independent for the Senate seat, intends to announce his support for a repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, according to an article on the website Raw Story. Kendrick responded to that report and said Crist is flip-flopping on gay issues and will say anything to get elected.
The Meek campaign is circulating a flier from 2006 in which Crist, running for reelection as governor, blasts his Democratic opponent for supporting gay rights, all while asserting Crist does not support them.
Meek supports civil unions, cosponsored the House's repeal of DADT, and was against Amendment 2, which constitutionally banned same-sex marriage in Florida.
Read the full story here.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations