Antigay Tweets, Indonesian Style
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 05 2010 7:25 PM ET
Indonesia's information minister, Tifatul Sembiring, says he meant no
offense when he fired off several antigay statements via Twitter, the Associated Press reports.
"Behaviors which are potentially carrying the virus must be prevented," Sembiring tweeted last week, a reference to HIV. He also referred to Koranic injunctions against homosexuality and tweeted that the acronym AIDS means "Akibat Itunya Dipakai Sembarangan," or "because they were reckless about where they put their genitals," according to the AP.
minister has previously blamed natural disasters on homosexuality. Sembiring also denounced the recent Q! gay and lesbian film festival held in Indonesia's capital, Jakarta. Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim country.
Read the full story here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'