Ill. Repub.: Won't Focus on Social Issues
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 12 2010 8:55 PM ET
Illinois governor Pat Quinn (pictured, right) is highlighting challenger Bill Brady’s socially conservative stances, including opposition to gay rights, in campaign ads — but Brady (pictured, left) says he will focus on economic issues if elected.
Brady, as a Republican state senator, has proposed amending the Illinois constitution to deny gay couples marriage rights and has also opposed civil unions, but he now says that if the state enacts a civil unions bill under Quinn, he would not seek to repeal it. Quinn, a Democrat, last week said passage of the bill is likely before year end, and he has pledged to sign it.
Brady made his remarks Monday to the Daily Herald, a newspaper in suburban Chicago, which has endorsed him. “I have my personal beliefs. ... We all have our personal beliefs,” he said. “My agenda is about rebuilding Illinois’ economy and bringing integrity back to the government.” An opponent of abortion rights, Brady did say he would enforce a law requiring parental notification for minors seeking abortions. The law, passed in 1995, has been challenged in court and never enforced.
The Chicago Sun-Times has endorsed Quinn, saying he “lives in the real world” while Brady “lives in an ideological box that shuts out real people and real pain.” The Chicago Tribune endorsed Brady on the basis that he would stand up to state “power brokers.”
Read a Huffington Post analysis of the race here.
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- 2014's Gayest Cities in America
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM