Gay.com: Take LGBT Off the Menu
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2010 3:05 PM ET
Gay.com is stepping into the “LGBT” debate, suggesting that the acronym — with all of the letters that keep getting added — has become so diluted, it's tough for anyone to identify with.
The article reads, “In the beginning it was simple enough: LGB or GLB, depending on the gender of the person using it. (As with a tennis score, you tend to put yourself first.) Then along came the transgenders and suddenly we had LGBT — or as I’ve heard it called, the “Gay BLT.” But once it became a multi-layered sandwich, there was no stopping it. And the more it grew, the harder it became to swallow. And identify with. The more groups it represented, the further away from my experience it drifted.”
Read the full article here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 24 min 56 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 37 min 29 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 51 min 7 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 51 min 12 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 52 min 38 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 19 min ago