Protest Set for Americans for Truth Event
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2010 3:50 PM ET
Chicago gay activists plan to protest at the annual banquet of Americans for Truth About Homosexuality, led by Peter LaBarbera (pictured), Saturday in suburban Arlington Heights.
“AFTAH claims they have nothing but Christian love for gay people, but out of the other side of their mouths, they promote Uganda’s ‘kill the gays’ bill,” said Andy Thayer, cofounder of Chicago’s Gay Liberation Network and an organizer of the protest, in a press release. “‘Hate the sin but love the sinner,’ they say, but it’s sort of hard to ‘love the sinner’ when he or she is dead as a result of legislation like Uganda’s. It gives you an idea of what AFTAH would do in this country if given half a chance.”
On the pending Uganda bill, which calls for the death penalty for gays under certain circumstances, LaBarbera wrote the following earlier this year on Americans for Truth’s website: “At AFTAH, we preach Christian mercy and have denounced Talibanesque capital punishment for homosexuals in countries like Iran. But we also believe that if states and localities here in America (and governments abroad) wish to ban sodomy, they have every right to do so.”
Thayer also said Americans for Truth is not a marginal group like the Westboro Baptist Church but a major player in Illinois Republican politics, having been involved in campaigns for governor and U.S. Senate and attempted to put antigay ballot measures before the state’s voters.
The keynote speaker at Saturday’s banquet, to be held at a Christian school, will be former pro football player Ken Hutcherson, pastor of a Baptist church in Redmond, Wash. Hutcherson has urged Redmond-based Microsoft not to support state antidiscrimination legislation and has objected to the annual Day of Silence, an observance designed to counter antigay bullying in schools.
For more about the protest, go to GayLiberation.net.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 13 min 35 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 19 min 55 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 43 min 21 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 52 min 7 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 58 min 49 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 41 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 12 min ago