Chi. Mayor Hopefuls to Announce
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 12 2010 3:20 PM ET
They’ve been talking about the race for weeks, but several Chicago mayoral hopefuls, including former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel and antigay megachurch pastor James Meeks, will officially announce their candidacies this weekend, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Also announcing will be Danny Davis, a former Chicago alderman and current congressman who has been chosen as the consensus black candidate by a group of African-American leaders in the city.
Davis has a pro-gay record in Congress, as Emanuel did in his three terms, from 2003 to 2009. Emanuel, however, has drawn the ire of some gay activists who hold him responsible for President Obama’s lack of movement on key LGBT rights measures; he was Obama’s chief of staff from early 2009 until October of this year, when he resigned to enter the mayoral race. Meeks, who has been a spiritual adviser to Obama, has taken antigay stands both in the pulpit and as an Illinois state senator, but he met with Chicago gay leaders this fall in an effort to build bridges.
Monday is the first day for candidates to file their nominating petitions for the February 22 municipal election, which is officially nonpartisan, although virtually all the serious candidates are Democrats. There will be a runoff April 5 if necessary. The mayor’s race became a wide-open contest when Richard M. Daley, who has held the office since 1989, announced he would not seek reelection.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 55 min 45 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 59 min 30 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 21 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 2 hours 50 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM