Portia de Rossi Takes on Australian PM
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2010 9:55 AM ET
Australian expat Portia de Rossi is disappointed that Prime Minister Julia Gillard is blocking the push toward marriage equality in her native country.
The wife of Ellen DeGeneres, who legally took her wife's last name in September but still goes by de Rossi professionally, said she was “disappointed” in Gillard, reported the Melbourne Herald Sun.
"I always thought Australia would pass this equal rights law long before America would," she said. "I'm a little bit disappointed with the new prime minister. I'm hoping that Australia will be a leader on this."
On Wednesday a Greens motion urging parliament members to talk to their constituents passed the House of Representatives with help from Gillard’s minority Labor government. But Gillard said Labor MPs would not be free to vote their conscience on a marriage equality bill. She has agreed to bring her party’s national conference forward to allow the party to determine a position on marriage before the next election, but she has not promised to be bound by the decision.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM