Portia de Rossi Takes on Australian PM
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2010 8:55 AM ET
Australian expat Portia de Rossi is disappointed that Prime Minister Julia Gillard is blocking the push toward marriage equality in her native country.
The wife of Ellen DeGeneres, who legally took her wife's last name in September but still goes by de Rossi professionally, said she was “disappointed” in Gillard, reported the Melbourne Herald Sun.
"I always thought Australia would pass this equal rights law long before America would," she said. "I'm a little bit disappointed with the new prime minister. I'm hoping that Australia will be a leader on this."
On Wednesday a Greens motion urging parliament members to talk to their constituents passed the House of Representatives with help from Gillard’s minority Labor government. But Gillard said Labor MPs would not be free to vote their conscience on a marriage equality bill. She has agreed to bring her party’s national conference forward to allow the party to determine a position on marriage before the next election, but she has not promised to be bound by the decision.
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 35 min 19 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 1 hour 35 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM