Two Lesbian Priests Tie the Knot
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 06 2011 8:55 AM ET
The Reverend Mally Lloyd and the Reverend Katherine Ragsdale, two high-level Episcopal priests, married in Massachusetts on New Year’s Day.
According to LGBTQ Nation, which reported via the Patriot-Ledger, “The Rev. Lloyd and the Rev. Ragsdale were married in a ceremony at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul in Boston, with about 400 guests attending. Bishop M. Thomas Shaw, the state’s highest ranking Episcopal official, presided.”
Reverend Lloyd is a ranking official of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts. Reverend Ragsdale is dean and president of the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge.
LGBTQ Nation reports that while the Episcopal Church’s canons state that marriage is between a man and a woman, the church at its General Convention in 2009 passed a resolution that says, “Bishops, particularly those in dioceses within civil jurisdictions where same-gender marriage, civil unions or domestic partnerships are legal, may provide generous pastoral response to meet the needs of members of this church.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 5 min 45 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 19 min 23 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 20 min 54 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 32 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 47 min 29 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 1 hour 1 min ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 1 hour 4 min ago