Margaret Whiting Dead at 86
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 12 2011 7:40 PM ET
Margaret Whiting, the big-band singer who was married to gay porn star Jack Wrangler from 1994 until his death in 2009, passed away Monday at the Lillian Booth Actors' Home in Englewood, N.J.. She was 86.
Whiting was the first singer to be placed under contract at Capitol Records in 1942, when she was just 18. The daughter of composer Richard Whiting, she recorded a number of hits, including “That Old Black Magic” and “Come Rain or Come Shine.”
Whiting’s marriage to Wrangler raised eyebrows for several reasons. He was 22 years her junior and openly gay. But the couple made a go of it, and Wrangler eventually turned his attentions away from porn to crafting cabaret acts for the singer.
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 19 min 58 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 4 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM