Margaret Whiting Dead at 86
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 12 2011 6:40 PM ET
Margaret Whiting, the big-band singer who was married to gay porn star Jack Wrangler from 1994 until his death in 2009, passed away Monday at the Lillian Booth Actors' Home in Englewood, N.J.. She was 86.
Whiting was the first singer to be placed under contract at Capitol Records in 1942, when she was just 18. The daughter of composer Richard Whiting, she recorded a number of hits, including “That Old Black Magic” and “Come Rain or Come Shine.”
Whiting’s marriage to Wrangler raised eyebrows for several reasons. He was 22 years her junior and openly gay. But the couple made a go of it, and Wrangler eventually turned his attentions away from porn to crafting cabaret acts for the singer.
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 39 min 36 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 48 min 30 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 1 hour 31 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 2 hours 32 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 36 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Business 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index 3:49 PM