Dr. Phil: No Girls’ Toys for Boys
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 09 2011 4:15 PM ET
A representative for Dr. Phil has confirmed that the talk-show host gave this advice on an episode that aired December 17, 2002.
Dr. Phil advises a parent whose son likes to play with girls’ toys and wear girls’ clothing to “take the girl things away, and buy him boy toys” on his website’s “Ask Dr. Phil” section.
Robbie tells Dr. Phil that her 5-year-old son likes to play with Barbies and likes to wear girls’ clothing, which she doesn’t think is normal. In the segment, she asks the talk-show host how to deal with his behavior.
“There are developmental stages in kids, and it is not unusual, particularly for young boys, to experiment and get stuck on certain stimulus items,” he says. “This is not a precursor to your son being gay.”
Dr. Phil, who recently has increased his support for gay and lesbian teens, particularly when it comes to bullying in schools, then suggests that the solution is to take the girls’ toys away from the boy.
“Direct your son in an unconfusing way. Don't buy him Barbie dolls or girls’ clothes. You don’t want to do things that seem to support the confusion at this stage of the game. ... Take the girl things away, and buy him boy toys. Support him in what he’s doing, but not in the girl things.
"And if your son is gay, he'll learn that when he passes puberty and gets into a lifestyle and determines what his orientation is, and his lifestyle will flow from that. It won't be a choice; it will be something that he's pre-wired to do, and he'll know that in plenty of time if he's an adult. But you shouldn't take this as an indication of that at this point."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' 17 min 10 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 18 min 9 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 44 min 58 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 7 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 2 hours 9 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM