More CPAC Trouble for GOProud
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 10 2011 9:35 PM ET
Just moments after antigay Republican former Senate candidate Sharron Angle said she supported gay conservative group GOProud's participation in the Conservative Political Action Conference, the chair of the group organizing the annual event said he thinks it will be "difficult" to work with the group in the future.
"I have been disappointed with their website and their quotes in the media, taunting organizations that are respected in our movement and part of our movement, and that’s not acceptable," the newly selected chair of the American Conservative Union, Al Cardenas, told Frum Forum Thursday. "And that puts them in a difficult light in terms of how I view things."
Cardenas pointed to GOProud chair Christopher Barron's (pictured) criticism of former ACU chairman Cleta Mitchell in an interview with Metro Weeklyas an example of the group’s difficult "behavior and attitude."
The same day, Angle, one of the most conservative candidates to come out of the Tea Party movement, said she supported GOProud's attendance at the event.
"I think that as Americans, we like the open forum of discussion," she said. "That's what freedom of speech is, that's what freedom of assembly is — we have an assembly here of people coming together to exchange ideas — and I think that's what we like is the discourse and exchange of ideas. I am always in favor of freedom."
Earlier this week Sarah Palin expressed her support for GOProud's participation in CPAC.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 10 min 22 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 11 min 53 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 23 min 15 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 38 min 28 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 52 min 21 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 55 min 1 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 1 hour 6 min ago