Gay Student Teacher Settles Discrimination Claim
BY Winston Gieseke
February 14 2011 7:45 PM ET
A Beaverton, Ore., school district has settled a discrimination complaint filed by a student teacher who says he lost his job after discussing gay marriage with a fourth-grader.
In October a 9-year-old student at Sexton Mountain Elementary School asked student teacher Seth Stambaugh if he was married. According to Stambaugh, who is gay, “I indicated that I was not. He asked me if it was because I wasn't old enough. I told him no, that it would be because I would choose to marry another man. And he asked if I liked to hang out with other guys and I said ‘Yep.’”
After a complaint from a parent, officials at the school district said the conversation wasn’t age-appropriate and called into question Stambaugh’s professional judgment before removing him from his position. When the district reinstated Stambaugh following national media coverage, the parents removed the child from the school.
Stambaugh and the district have been involved in mediation since late last year. Both parties recently agreed on a resolution, the results of which were released Friday. According toThe Oregonian, the school district agreed to pay a settlement of $75,000 to Stambaugh as well as "provide leadership training concerning issues related to sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression."
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 45 min 12 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 22 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 27 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM