Teen: Teacher Mocked Me for Being Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 24 2011 2:15 PM ET
A Palm Coast, Fla., teen says one of his teachers ridiculed him in front of classmates for being gay, telling him he couldn’t keep his soda in the same fridge as other students or they’d turn out like him.
Flagler Palm Coast High School freshman Luke Herbert said he and his mother complained to school officials several times about the teacher, but no one has taken the complaints seriously.
"He stood in front of the class and said 'you can't put Mountain Dew or Pepsi in the same fridge or they'll turn gay.' He [also] came over to me, and I was like 'hi.' He said hi, like he was imitating me or mocking me," the 15-year-old told Florida’s News 13.
Herbert said the teacher ultimately apologized and school officials promised to switch him to another class — but it has yet to happen.
"I don't feel safe with him being there," Herbert’s mother, Dorene Davenport, told News 13.
A representative for the school district told News 13 that officials are investigating the situation, but would not comment further.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 48 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 3 min 44 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 14 min 12 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 26 min 50 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 35 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 17 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 35 min ago