Mississippi Gay Officer Reinstated
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 8:35 AM ET
A former sheriff’s deputy in Mississippi will be reinstated following settlement of an antigay discrimination lawsuit out of court.
The Hattiesurg American reports that Andre Cooley, who filed suit against the Forrest County Sheriff’s Department with help from the American Civil Liberties Union, will be reinstated as a deputy corrections officer. The department also will change its nondiscrimination policy to explicitly forbid antigay discrimination.
“Bear Atwood, legal director at the ACLU of Mississippi, said Cooley's was the first case of its kind in the state — wherein an employee sued a public body for discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation,” reports the American.
“She also said that Forrest County will have the first sheriff's office in the state to include a sexual orientation clause in its nondiscrimination policy.”
The settlement also included back pay from the time Cooley was fired in June 2010 to the present.
In his lawsuit Cooley said that he was listed as the victim when he called 911 from home last year in response to violence by his boyfriend. He alleged that after his chief officer learned he was gay, he told him not to report to work before speaking with his direct supervisor, and that he was fired the next day.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 19 min 37 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 16 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM