London "Kiss-In" Draws Hundreds
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 16 2011 8:45 AM ET
Hundreds of protesters converged for a Friday “kiss-in” outside a London pub where two gay men were allegedly thrown out for displays of public affection.
Pink News reports that while the kiss-in, which drew more than 800 attendees, was originally set to take place inside the John Snow pub, the event took place outside after bar management closed the pub early.
On Wednesday, Jonathan Williams and James Bull said they were asked to leave the pub after the landlady called them “obscene” for kissing. A man in the pub had also complained about them.
Longtime gay rights activist Peter Tatchell told Pink News of the incident, “Although much of London is gay-friendly, the apparent discrimination against Jonathan and James shows that pockets of prejudice remain, even in gay Soho.”
Read more here.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 21 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 53 min 21 sec ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 18 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 19 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 44 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM