London "Kiss-In" Draws Hundreds
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 16 2011 9:45 AM ET
Hundreds of protesters converged for a Friday “kiss-in” outside a London pub where two gay men were allegedly thrown out for displays of public affection.
Pink News reports that while the kiss-in, which drew more than 800 attendees, was originally set to take place inside the John Snow pub, the event took place outside after bar management closed the pub early.
On Wednesday, Jonathan Williams and James Bull said they were asked to leave the pub after the landlady called them “obscene” for kissing. A man in the pub had also complained about them.
Longtime gay rights activist Peter Tatchell told Pink News of the incident, “Although much of London is gay-friendly, the apparent discrimination against Jonathan and James shows that pockets of prejudice remain, even in gay Soho.”
Read more here.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 59 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 35 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM