Elite Colleges Welcome Back ROTC
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 27 2011 2:05 PM ET
Harvard, Stanford, Yale and Columbia are all taking steps to reinstate the ROTC program on their campuses now that Congress has repealed “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
The universities all banned ROTC from their campuses at the height of the Vietnam War. In recent decades, the military’s ban on gays and lesbians serving openly has caused the schools to sustain their decision.
Last month Harvard became the first of the top universities to rescind the ban. Columbia announced plans to do away with the ban on Friday, with faculty committees at Stanford and Yale approving a lift this week. A vote by the full faculty is expected at Stanford Thursday and at Yale next week.
Click here to read more.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 2 hours 12 min ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 10:07 AM
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 9:27 AM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When Scout Comes Out at Camp 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM