Elite Colleges Welcome Back ROTC
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 27 2011 2:05 PM ET
Harvard, Stanford, Yale and Columbia are all taking steps to reinstate the ROTC program on their campuses now that Congress has repealed “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
The universities all banned ROTC from their campuses at the height of the Vietnam War. In recent decades, the military’s ban on gays and lesbians serving openly has caused the schools to sustain their decision.
Last month Harvard became the first of the top universities to rescind the ban. Columbia announced plans to do away with the ban on Friday, with faculty committees at Stanford and Yale approving a lift this week. A vote by the full faculty is expected at Stanford Thursday and at Yale next week.
Click here to read more.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing
- WATCH: Oregon Gov. Emotionally Signs Conversion Therapy Ban Into Law
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos