Elite Colleges Welcome Back ROTC
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 27 2011 1:05 PM ET
Harvard, Stanford, Yale and Columbia are all taking steps to reinstate the ROTC program on their campuses now that Congress has repealed “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
The universities all banned ROTC from their campuses at the height of the Vietnam War. In recent decades, the military’s ban on gays and lesbians serving openly has caused the schools to sustain their decision.
Last month Harvard became the first of the top universities to rescind the ban. Columbia announced plans to do away with the ban on Friday, with faculty committees at Stanford and Yale approving a lift this week. A vote by the full faculty is expected at Stanford Thursday and at Yale next week.
Click here to read more.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM