Elite Colleges Welcome Back ROTC
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 27 2011 2:05 PM ET
Harvard, Stanford, Yale and Columbia are all taking steps to reinstate the ROTC program on their campuses now that Congress has repealed “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
The universities all banned ROTC from their campuses at the height of the Vietnam War. In recent decades, the military’s ban on gays and lesbians serving openly has caused the schools to sustain their decision.
Last month Harvard became the first of the top universities to rescind the ban. Columbia announced plans to do away with the ban on Friday, with faculty committees at Stanford and Yale approving a lift this week. A vote by the full faculty is expected at Stanford Thursday and at Yale next week.
Click here to read more.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word